Talk:List of eXtensions to OSIS used in SWORD
Why this page should prove useful
For a valid OSIS XML file to be "fit for purpose", it's necessary to know what to include in order to achieve the goal of making good SWORD modules. Though some of these extensions are already partially documented in existing wiki pages, there is no single place where they are all listed along with usage rules. As further pre-processing tools are being developed (such as USX to OSIS), having a one stop reference should be valuable to help developers ensure that they can take full advantage of existing solutions and workarounds. David Haslam 05:00, 27 April 2012 (MDT)
- This page will be a 'work in progress' for a time. I have made a start by adding sections for extensions found by searching the wiki. the result of such a search is probably quite incomplete. Developers who work on the SWORD source code should be able to add further sections. David Haslam 05:11, 27 April 2012 (MDT)
- Further extensions were added by reference to usfm2osis.pl and to kjv.xml. David Haslam 05:30, 28 April 2012 (MDT)
- Examination of existing modules for unsupported extensions may also suggest opportunities for further enhancements to the SWORD engine, especially if they are used extensively, and when it would seem that their purpose was to affect how text is displayed. David Haslam 02:36, 1 May 2012 (MDT)
- Comment from the xulsword developer received by email: David Haslam 12:11, 1 May 2012 (MDT)
"Hey this is great! This is the kind of thing that enables developers to make best use of their time and design products that are compatible. "
Non-CrossWire OSIS eXtensions
Please list any non-CrossWire OSIS eXtensions here in the talk page. David Haslam 11:45, 27 April 2012 (MDT)
SWORD and JSword
The page is intended to reflect what extensions are supported by the SWORD API. There is no guarantee that these extensions are also supported by JSword, albeit many of them are. David Haslam 05:26, 28 April 2012 (MDT)
Extensions no longer supported ...
If it turns out that I have listed any extension that is no longer supported by the latest release of the SWORD engine, please contact me before editing the main page. David Haslam 05:33, 28 April 2012 (MDT)
- Likewise for any extension that was never supported. David Haslam 02:23, 1 May 2012 (MDT)
Extensions used in xulsword
This can be used within the note element as a value of the attribute subType.
It's used to mark crossReference links for parallel passages.
This can be used within the milestone element as a value of the attribute type.
It's used to provide a poetry indentation as an alternative to using line elements with level attributes.
Currently, deeper indents are created by two or three <milestone type="x-p-indent" /> elements in series.
Extensions found in SWORD modules
Research here about OSIS extensions found in SWORD modules, for which the status of support by the SWORD engine is still unclear. Please remember to identify the particular module. David Haslam 02:26, 1 May 2012 (MDT)
This is a list of all x-prefix extensions in the ESV module (along with a count in column 1):
05206 x-begin-paragraph 19805 x-br 00081 x-declares 05206 x-end-paragraph 00007 x-extra-space 11334 x-indent 00021 x-indent-2 02428 x-preverse 00001 x-psalm-book 00003 x-psalm-doxology 00179 x-same-paragraph 00074 x-selah 00001 x-speaker 00002 x-textual-note 00016 x-us-time
This is an edited list of all x-prefix extensions in the KJV module v2.4 from CrossWire Beta (along with a count in column 1):
03422 x-1,x-2 ... x-60 01424 x-added 00835 x-extra-p 00002 x-importer 00232 x-milestone 00002 x-osis2mod 02970 x-p 00232 x-preverse 03422 x-split 00017 x-transChange
This is a list of all x-prefix extensions in the OSHMB module (along with a count in column 1):
000001 x-importer 000004 x-large 042582 x-maqqef 000001 x-osis2mod 002287 x-paseq 001181 x-pe 001270 x-qere 000009 x-reversednun 001981 x-samekh 000003 x-small 023193 x-sof-pasuq 000004 x-suspended
This is a list of all x-prefix extensions in the WLC module (along with a count in column 1):
005915 x-DHSource 000001 x-importer 000009 x-invertednun 001276 x-ketiv 000004 x-large 472676 x-morph 000001 x-osis2mod 001181 x-pe 001288 x-qere 001981 x-samekh 000003 x-small 000004 x-suspended 001018 x-textual