Difference between revisions of "Help:Contents"
(→Mailing List Support: [https://www.crosswire.org/mailman/listinfo mailing list])
(The CrossWire page on Facebook is '''not''' a support channel. Any technical support requests there will not be answered.)
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
== Problem solving ==
== Problem solving ==
Revision as of 09:59, 4 December 2017
The CrossWire page on Facebook is not a support channel. Any technical support requests there will not be answered.
- 1 Problem solving
- 2 Reporting Bugs and Requesting Features
Before reading the rest of this page, please pay a visit to this Wikipedia article about problem solving. Think carefully about how best to describe the problem you wish to report, and which details are needed as evidence, and which are superfluous. Before reporting a problem, make certain that you and/or others can reproduce it by going through exactly the same steps. And always remember to provide sufficient information about the program version, module name, operating system, etc. None of us are mind-readers, so describing a problem as accurately and precisely as possible is a vital part towards getting it solved.
Reporting Bugs and Requesting Features
CrossWire is an all volunteer organization. Getting help is easy, but we can help you best if you provide us with enough information.
Most questions that we receive have been answered in our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ). Please read this first.
The SWORD Family of applications runs on many operating systems and encompasses many applications. Sometimes we can guess what program you are using or are wanting information about, but it is much easier if you tell us up front.
Let us know the following:
- Software: Which application are you using?
- The SWORD Project for Windows
- Xiphos (formerly GnomeSword)
- Version: Which version of the application are you using? (If at all possible, it is best to use the most recent version of your application.)
- Module: In which module (Bible, Commentary, Dictionary, ...) do you see the problem? Can you supply a specific reference that we can use to reproduce the problem? (It might not be a problem, but a question or a feature request.)
- Operating System
- Windows (9x, 2000, NT, ME, XP, Vista, 7) remember to state which service pack
- MacOSX (Panther, Tiger, Leopard, Snow Leopard, Lion)
- Linux (which distribution)
- Description: Give a brief description of the problem. Is there something else we need to know in order to see the problem?
Specific Application Support
Please note that it may be more efficient to send support requests to a specific project. If you have questions about projects such as BibleTime, Xiphos, or Eloquent please see these websites directly for better answers. If you are having problems installing an application, please read its installation instructions first.
|Comments / Feedback||sword-feedback at crosswire dot org|
|Bug Reports||sword-bugs at crosswire dot org|
|General Questions||sword-support at crosswire dot org|
Mailing List Support
At CrossWire Bible Society, we have some subscription mailing lists. All of these lists are public. Some do not allow posting. Email sent to these lists is broadcast to all of the members of the lists. Monthly you will be sent an email with your password. Please don't use an important password.
IMPORTANT: Automatic subscription has been disabled because of 'scum-of-the-earth' bots. Please send a request to email@example.com and prove you are a human and indeed wish to subscribe. Don't forget to include which mailing list you'd like to join.
- There now no point in clicking any of the subscribe links below. These may be removed eventually.
General Mailing Lists
|A very low volume list where significant updates to The SWORD Project for Windows are announced.||No posting allowed.|
|A very low volume list where significant updates to Bible Desktop are announced.||No posting allowed.|
|A medium volume list to allow users to discuss usage of Bible Desktop.||bibledesktop-users at crosswire dot org|
|A medium volume list to allow users to discuss usage of Xiphos.||xiphos-users at crosswire dot org|
Developer's Mailing Lists
|A medium volume list for discussion amongst the various Sword application and module developers.||sword-devel at crosswire dot org|
|A medium volume list for discussion amongst the various JSword project developers.||jsword-devel at crosswire dot org|
|A medium volume list for discussion amongst the various BibleTime project developers.||bt-devel at crosswire dot org|
|A medium volume list for discussion amongst the various Xiphos project developers.||xiphos-devel at crosswire dot org|
|A potentially high volume list of all software changes to the SWORD project.||No posting allowed.|
|A potentially high volume list of all software changes to the JSword projects.||No posting allowed.|
|A potentially high volume list of all software changes to the Xiphos project.||No posting allowed.|
You may also try our live forum on Internet Relay Chat (IRC), using your favorite IRC client. Just point it to:
Some of the CrossWire projects also have their own IRC channel.
For a simple web based, IRC client use Mibbit irc.freenode.net #sword.
Get our news feeds:
- General news: http://crosswire.org/news.rss.jsp
- Modules news: http://www.crosswire.org/sword/modules/pubmods.rss
If you don't see the relevant project issues tracker further below, then look for it in
For convenience, here is a list of our trackers.
- Bible Desktop (BD)
- BibleCS (BCS)
- Eloquent (MACSW)
- Eloquent for iPad (ELOIPAD)
- Flashcards (FC)
- JSword (JS)
- Module Tools (MODTOOLS)
- Modules (MOD)
- New Testament Virtual Manuscript Room (NTVMR)
- PocketSword (PS)
- Prose (PROS)
- QPSword (QPS)
- SWORD (API)
- SwordReader (SR)
- SwordWeb (SWEB)
- Tyndale STEP (TYNSTEP)
Report issues for the SWORD API here:
Report text and/or markup issues here: (only for modules in the main or av11n CrossWire repositories)
- Please update the link here if you have migrated your project.
Each project has its own reporting mechanism. Here are a few:
- The SWORD Project for Windows (code name: BibleCS)
- Program crashing – hints on what general steps to take when any front-end application crashes.
The CrossWire Bible Society P. O. Box 2528 Tempe, AZ 85280-2528