Given the use of more and more mobile devices with SWORD frontends, a shared bookmark system would be a useful addition.
Feature wish list for format
- nested folders
- able to link to specific modules
- has a way of adding free text at any given level
- can link to verses, verse ranges, chapters, sections, paragraphes, subverse
- should utilise as much as possible existing shared/shareable code
Kostya Maslyuk wrote:
- history, history entry in my mind should consists of range user read, place and time user finished, module
Current formats in use
Xiphos and BibleCS(?) use this format:
<?xml version="1.0"?> <SwordBookmarks syntaxVersion="1.0"> <Folder caption="Personal"> <Folder caption="What must I do to be saved?"> <Bookmark modulename="" key="Acts 16:31" moduledescription=" " description="Acts 16:31"/> <Bookmark modulename="" key="Eph 2:8,9" moduledescription=" " description="Eph 2:8,9"/> <Bookmark modulename="" key="Romans 1:16" moduledescription=" " description="Romans 1:16"/> </Folder> <Folder caption="What is the Gospel?"> <Bookmark modulename="" key="1 Cor 15:1-4" moduledescription=" " description="1 Cor 15:1-4"/> </Folder> </Folder> </SwordBookmarks>
At top of xml structure should persists format version attribute.
Child nodes represent main data sets: bookmarks, history, notes. Each should have information about last synchronization time, application name and version (for debugging).
Ways of sharing
- Please describe here which front-ends already support local bookmarks, and how?
- See Choosing a SWORD program - section 3.6 Bookmarking, Tagging, Listing and Notes. Some significant front-ends are not yet listed in this page. (e.g. PocketSword).